This is a healthy version of the classic breakfast option, with an array of seeds to provide plenty of healthy fats. Research has found that Brazil nuts can assist male fertility as well as boost testosterone.
You can vary the ingredients according to what you have available. This will keep in an airtight container for 1–2 weeks.
- 115g/4oz/¾ cup Brazil nuts
- 115g/4oz/¾ cup almonds
- 115g/4oz/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 60g/2¼oz/½ cup raw cacao nibs
- 60g/2¼oz/½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 60g/2¼oz/½ cup sunflower seeds
- 60g/2¼oz/2/3 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 75g/2½oz/heaped 1/3 cup soft pitted dates
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp lucuma powder (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 60g/2¼oz/2/3 cup goji berries or unsweetened dried cherries
- milk or milk alternative, or yogurt, to serve
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C/315°F/Gas 2–3 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2) Put the nuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs and seeds in a food processor and process to coarsely chop. Transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
3) Put the apple, dates, honey, coconut oil, protein powder, if using, lucuma powder, if using, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a food processor and process to form a thick paste. Pour the paste over the nuts and seeds and stir to combine well.
4) Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn down the oven to 110°C/225°F/Gas ½ and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until the mixture is dry and golden. Leave to cool, then stir in the berries. Store in an airtight container. Serve with a splash of milk or yogurt.
Makes: 8 servings • Preparation time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 50 minutes
Nutritional information per serving:
Carbohydrate 19.4g,of which sugars 13g
Fat 29g,of which saturates 10.6g
THE NUTRITIONAL APPROACH TO A HAPPY & HEALTHY PREGNANCY
Eat Yourself Pregnant by Zita West, publishing 1st September 2014 • £14.99 • Paperback
Available on Amazon and other bookshops
Photo Credit: Watkins Publishing