Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 4–6 minutes
- 20 scallops
- sesame oil, for brushing
- 20 coriander/cilantro leaves
- 20 thin slices of pickled ginger
Thai Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1 spring onion/scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp finely chopped peanuts
- 2½ tsp chopped peeled cucumber
- 1½ tbsp palm sugar or dark brown sugar
Make the dipping sauce by stirring the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved, then pour into a small serving bowl.
Brush the scallops lightly with sesame oil. Lay them on the grill rack and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side until they just change colour, turning once. Take care not to overcook.
Remove from the rack and pierce each scallop onto a toothpick, adding a coriander/cilantro leaf and a slice of pickled ginger. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Recipe extracted from I Love My Barbecue © Hilaire Walden, 2017 published by Nourish Books, London Paperback